Check valves are mechanical valves that permit gases and liquids to flow in only one direction, preventing process flow from reversing. They are classified as one-way directional valves. Fluid flow in the desired direction opens the valve, while backflow forces the valve closed.
- To prevent reverse flow
- To stop a pipe or tank emptying when a pump stops
- To prevent pressure transients damaging the pump
- To prevent parallel pumps rotating reverse
- To hold pressure in the line
- To prevent flooding
- To prevent water hammer mitigation